- Valerii Kuvakin. Scientific Community is Looking for the Ways to Meeting the Civil Society: “Today science in Russia is struggling for surviving. It is looking for the new ways to educate people in order to continue the great project of Enlightenment. To provide society with the most durable and objective knowledge is its highest missions. On a way to the people academic community together with Secular Humanists and scientific journalists creates the new institutional bodies”.
WHO IS WHO?
- Vitaly Ginzburg. In Response to the Lampoon “On the Academician V. L. Ginzgurg’s Shameful Xenophobic Activity”: “All Christian and particularly Orthodox literature overwhelmed with the words of good and love to human being. How it can be coincided with the lampoon, which is written by Orthodox believer. This brochure stinks out the hate and aggressiveness. The authors even want to put me to jail only because of I am an Atheist…”
A HUMANIST PROJECT
- Igor Kondrashin, Valerii Kuvakin. National Program of Civil Education in the Russian Federation (Draft). ”The Program aims to spread the broad system of the secular enlightenment of the Russian people what cold help them to form the mature world-view, to improve thinking, to rise the level of morality, responsibility, and culture…”
PEDAGOGY OF HUMANIST
- Olga Pastushkova. Presentation As a Resource of the Humanist Education. “If one would summarize the positive potential of presentation let say in Power Point as a form of humanist education we have to recognize that for the students this technology is one of the best”.
THE GREAT MINDS OF RUSSIA
- Nina Severikova. Voyage to the Open Space According ‘Kondrat’uk’s Track’. “Who is this extraordinary personality? The leaders of Russian cosmonautics consider him as one of genius scholars. Meanwhile he was a mechanics at small Siberian company and published for his own in 1921 the pioneering book ‘Conquest of the Interplanetary Space’…”
A HISTORY OF RUSSIAN SCIENCE
- Natalya Delone. How Russian Physicists saved Genetics. “In 1958 Lysenko still outraged in biology… It looked that the power of this ominous figure is endless. Authorities continued to protect this pseudo-scholar after Stalin’s death. But in academic community the idea was born to crate within the Academy of Sciences the Department of Genetics under protection of I. Kurchatov’s Nuclear Institute”.
THEORY OF EVOLUTION AND CREATIONISM
- Harry Abelev. “There are so many the unknown…”. “…We see that human being is a version of mammals, which appeals in a process of evolution of mammals… even so the factors that determined the formation of speech and abstract thinking are still not clear”.
- Vsevolod Lyashenko. “Irregular” Evolution: Darwin, Monkey, Maria, and Others… “The question of origin of the human being can not be a matter of agreement between church and science. ‘Christian’ science is imposable. The simplest thing what can do the proponents of ‘creation’ is to close the eyes on the great achievements of science”.
- Boris Rodoman. The Country of Permanent Colonialism. “A number of traditional features of colonialism are still alive in Russia. We can see them in a way how we use the land, environment, human recourses, in migration, in inter-ethnical relations and relations between state and people”.
- Xenia Vorozhikhina. Masculine and Feminine in Culture and Society. “Generally speaking, – author summarizes, – feminine is a centripetal tendency in culture while masculine is a centrifugal trend. Culture is a diversity of both of them but these beginnings should be in a harmony”.
TO TREAT ACCORDING THE SCIENCE
- Kirill Danishevsky, Olga Rebrova. “Memorandum for the Patients, Which Do Not Want to Be Misled”. “Unconscionable physicians or pseudo-physicians actively promote the charlatan methods of treatments, diagnostics, and prophylactics. That is why we need to know the basic features of charlatanism in this field”.
- Vsevolod Lyashenko. Scientifically Justified Medicine: How to Deal with It? “In contrast to the specialist the patients are condemned to be deceived. But we should not to oppose them so we have to discuss the instructions that can protect as against the fakes”.
- Science and Humanism: Looking Ahead (Kursk, November 2008). Humanist Conference was devoted to the problems of the civil society, human rights, the role of the young people in culture, national and internationals juridical and moral norms, social work at al.
- Culture at the Age of Globalization (Kolomna, November 2008). In the focus of this Conference was an interdisciplinary approach to the analysis of the intercultural dialogue and the ways to balancing between local and world cultures.
- Anatolii Donshin. Design as an Integral Cultural Phenomenon. “To live in the environment, which is organized according the design laws, means to grow as a well organized, creative and benevolent personality”.
THE TEMPOS OF THE RELIGIOUS INNOVATIONS IN RUSSIA
- Nadezhda Kuznetstova. Achievements of the Russian Orthodoxy in Pavlovski Posad. If Principle is an educated and responsible personality the priests are not able to penetrate to the public school and preach in the classes. But if the priests come to classes and preach there it means that the leadership of the public school breaks the law being under pressure of the religious ideology”.
- Appendix: Priest Sergey Nikolaev’s Report. Integration of Orthodox Culture in Educational Activity of Lyceum… “In addition to the labs of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology why we would not establish the room of Orthodox Culture? The icons are the special items to decorate it”.
- Andrei Kuraev. How to Use the Law on the Freedom of Conscience for the Defense of Orthodoxy at Public Schools. “ I know that there are some difficulties to bring Orthodox religion to school. I can give you some advises how to use the law on education to defense the children’s rights from their violations by pluralistic ideology…”
THROUGH THE INTERNET SITES
- Believers and nonbelievers in Russia: Levada Center Opinion Poll. “About 52% of Russians say that they believe in God… 17% people say that they are Atheists… In the same time 63% of Russians believe in good or bad signs, 59% – in miracle dreams, 33% – in extraterrestrial creatures…”
- Leonid Yaroslavsky. God: Illusion or ‘Primary’ Knowledge? Toward the Russian Edition of the R. Dawkins’ The God Delusion. “Perhaps people have some genetic predisposition to believe in some powerful transcendent essences… But not less people have genetic preposition to prefer truth to lie… Otherwise the human species could not survive.”
- Alexander Loktev. Charles Chaplin of Circus or Philosopher on the tightrope. Review of the M. Romanushko’s recollections about the famous Russian clown Leonid Engibarov.
- Mikhail Beilin. Novels: Krasnovishersk. My Suleko
- Alexander Yarzhombeck. Cogito ergo sum. Selected Verses
- Fund For the Future: One More Step Forward. For the first time in a history of Russian Humanist Society we appealed publically to the Russian citizens. We called them to support us in completing of the construction of Home of Humanism in Moscow Suburb. Nobody could predict what response could be. But as we realize in spite of the troubles caused by financial crisis many people decide to send us donations. For the first month RHS received about 100.000 rubles as a charity.